Het forum over de technische onderwerpen, het onderhoud, afstellen en reparaties.

My old chain had smaller link-size than the replacement I bought.

seanspotatobusiness
Forum-lid

seanspotatobusiness 22 nov 2007 15:52

My bike chain broke so I had to buy a new one. When I lined them up, I discovered that 10 links of the old one was shorter than 10 links of the new one. The bike is a Batavus Cambridge with a SRAM super-7 internal gear hub and SKF bottom bracket. Has anyone else here noticed that their chain is smaller than what appears to be the standard or am I mistaken.

While the new chain fits on the front sprocket very well, the problem comes when I try to pedal and the chain slips about three times every full rotation of the pedals. I realise that this could be because the sprockets are worn but I also found it strange that 10 links of the old chain did not match 10 links of the new one. The easiest method might be to buy new sprockets but I would like to determine if there could be some difference between the chains and if it would be worth trying to get one the same size as the old one.
We don\'t inherit the Earth from our parents; we borrow it from our children.

warmbakkertje
Forum-lid

warmbakkertje 22 nov 2007 18:44

http://www.epicidiot.com/sports/chain_l ... ulator.htm

Perhabs you can find the answer here!

regards,

Gerrit-Jan

hendrikjan
Forum-lid

hendrikjan 22 nov 2007 18:45

are you sure its not the other way around? 10 links old longer than/then (damn which then is it?) 10 links new..
:winkthumb:

Erik
Forum-lid

Erik 22 nov 2007 22:20

It's the first than... :) I thin you'd better check if your new chain is the same type as the old one. You need a single speed chain and it sounds like you've got another one...
When I see a person on a bicycle I have hope for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

seanspotatobusiness
Forum-lid

seanspotatobusiness 23 nov 2007 00:48

I'm sure it wasn't the other way around - the old one had smaller links (I've read that chains don't "stretch" per se; rather, they wear on the inside of the links, creating a bigger hole, but that shouldn't affect the size of the link).

The chain I bought is certainly a single-speed chain. I got it from Praxis and they had "standard" chains and "dérailleur" chains, and I got the cheaper standard chain and shortened it to the appropriate length.

"Longer than" is correct (a lot of English people make that mistake as well - "than" is for comparisons and "then" is only for when you're talking about timing (like "first we did the washing up and then we went to the shops")).

Dank je wel voor je antwoorden! (Nu je kun mij verbeter!)
We don\'t inherit the Earth from our parents; we borrow it from our children.

Erik
Forum-lid

Erik 24 nov 2007 21:25

verbeteren.... :)

Your problem still sounds a bit weird though... You might want to have a look at the link where you've connected the chain. If that link is 'tight', you will also get this problem.
When I see a person on a bicycle I have hope for the future of the human race.
- H.G. Wells

oyah
Forum-lid

oyah 24 nov 2007 23:47

A new chain that is longer? Bicycle chains are mostly the same in size length, 1/2 inch. They are different in width for different bikes (derailleur/single speed). A worn chain is stretched so long it doesn't fit in the places the chainwheels supply,it wil start slipping when under some power, except when they're still both worn out...
Praxis is for DIY. Next time, i'm sure it's not the cost of the chain, you'd better go to a "goeie fietsenmaker" for advice.;) Good luck!
Fiets... ook eens 11 speed!

Plaats reactie